Friday, April 11, 2008

TNA Pro Wrestling News - Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe At Lockdown

I must admit that I'm actually considering buying Lockdown this Sunday, if only to see Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe 4. The recent program they've been working has been very convincing. Their track record for their previous matches is very high indeed. And they are also actively promoting an MMA-style "twist" to the match, with MMA star Frank Trigg even sitting in on commentary at the PPV.

Samoa Joe has stated that he will walk away from TNA Wrestling and retire if he does not win the belt from Kurt Angle in the cage at Lockdown. The ramifications of this should be obvious even to the most casual of fan. Samoa Joe is far too highly liked for TNA Wrestling to let him go, and I doubt they would book this angle only to have Joe retire, then have him return as a swerve. I wouldn't put it past Vince Russo, but I truly don't believe that it's what they're doing here.

That could only mean one thing: Samoa Joe wins the TNA Wrestling World Heavyweight Title.

What an amazing turn for Pro Wrestling! Not that I was complaining about Angle having the belt - it's been cute and all, but to be honest it has grown a bit stale. Though recently now that Kurt Angle has stopped being silly and started becoming a serious heel again, I have been more inclined to enjoy his television segments on TNA Impact.

Kurt Angle has functionally legitimized the TNA World Title simply by holding it for so long. He's held it for a while now relatively uninterrupted - which will make it mean all that much more once Samoa Joe captures it at Lockdown. The two have had sevaral 4-star+ matches previously, so this one pretty much guarantees to be the same or better.

I'm very interested in seeing which cage spots they'll implement into the match. Of course I don't see Samoa Joe taking a big leap from the top, I could see Kurt Angle doing so (maybe a Moonsault!) at Lockdown, one of TNA Wrestling's 4 "major" Pay-Per-Views each year.

The MMA style should add a nice twist to the match. I assume that the match isn't going to be entirely MMA oriented, but that it will be worked in a stiff "pureoso" Japaneses style with both Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe utilizing MMA style moves, professional and amateur wrestling moves in addition to their normal strikes and body blows. If TNA Lockdown does a really good buyrate then TNA will have no choice but to accept that more realistically booked storylines leading to more realistic matches will bring in more fans and finally, more money.

That is why I want to buy TNA Lockdown (and so should you). Not just because I want to see Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle, but because I want to see it change the nature of TNA Wrestling. I want to order the PPV to send a message to TNA - "Yes! This is what I want! Give me more!" - and money is the most powerful message of all.

No comments: